Random test that is invalid

nehabadheka

Random test that is invalid

Post by nehabadheka » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:03 pm

Hello,

What is the guideline for random tests that result in invalid result (for any reason). Do we recommend repeat collection or not ? I was under the impression that a random, invalid test does not need repeat collection. Any exceptions to this?

Thank you.

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Random test that is invalid

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:13 pm

An invalid result occurs when there is a problem with the specimen’s condition that is suggestive, but not proof, that the specimen is not genuine. An invalid result undergoes MRO review to determine if there is a medical/physiologic reason for the invalid laboratory result. The MRO reports the invalid finding to the employer as “canceled.”

If the MRO has determined there is a medical/physiologic reason for the specimen's condition, no further action is taken (unless a negative result is needed, e.g., in a preemployment setting). If the MRO finds no medical/physiologic reason for the specimen's condition, the MRO directs the employer to immediately retest the donor under direct observation. (This is true for random tests as well as other test types.) (By exception, this is not true if it is the second of two, consecutive tests that are invalid for the same reason. In this case, and where the second test was presumably collected under direct observation, there is no additional drug test performed based on this second, consecutive invalid that is similar to the first invalid.)

nehabadheka

Re: Random test that is invalid

Post by nehabadheka » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Thank you, Dr Swotinsky for your response. The donor was not reachable, and this was a "no contact" in the end. Do I recommend a retest in that case, under observation assuming the worst scenario? Since I cannot determine if there is a medical reason or not as I could not talk to the donor.