Amphetamine AND marijuana positive

dsitzes

Amphetamine AND marijuana positive

Post by dsitzes » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Donor tested positive for both amphetamine and THCA. He claims he has a valid amphetamine prescription, but does not have a legal prescription for THC. He has up to five business days to give me proof of amphetamine prescription. Do I wait until he provides the amphetamine Rx proof, or the end of five business days, to report the THC positive? Or do I go ahead and report the THC positive and make some kind of second report re: amphetamine if he fails to provide the required verification for that drug?

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Amphetamine AND marijuana positive

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:18 pm

The 5-day clock that you reference for providing the amphetamine prescription is your internal policy? Other than "reasonableness," I'm not aware of a standard/consensus as to how long the donor is given to provide corroboration of the prescription. Five days seems to me a long time. If you can, consider (at least in the future) telling the donor to provide the confirmation promptly and, if no response in a day or two, circle back to the donor to find out why. If no corroboration and no response, then report both results out at the same time.