Positive, dilute

Positive, dilute

Postby MROinDE » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Usually for a "Positive, dilute", you "ignore" the dilute and call it a positive test. I have an amphetamine-positive result that is also dilute. The donor has a valid prescription for Adderal, and therefore I down-graded his test to a negative, dilute. My question is: can't his dilute specimen "hide" illegal drugs? Meaning, what if he is on marijuana which did not show on this dilute specimen (even though it picked up his amphetamines). If a negative result is required, do I need to follow the protocol for negative-dilute? Thanks.
MROinDE

Re: positive, dilute

Postby DrSteve » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:56 pm

MROinDE wrote:Usually for a "Positive, dilute", you "ignore" the dilute and call it a positive test. I have an amphetamine positive and dilute. The donor has a valid Rx for Adderal, and therefore I down-graded his test to a negative, dilute. My question is: can't his dilute specimen "hide" illegal drugs? Meaning what if he is on marijuana which did not show on this dilute specimen (even though it picked up his amphetamines). If a negative is required, do I need to follow the protocol for negative-dilute. Thanks.

As you stated, you report it as a "negative, dilute," which is the final result, and then as you stated the employer follows its protocol for negative-dilute tests.

Steven Herbets, M.D.
DrSteve

Return to Drug and Alcohol Testing