Buprenorphine

Dr Jeff

Buprenorphine

Post by Dr Jeff » Mon May 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Donor confirmed positive for morphine (2,300 ng/mL). During questioning, she reported ingesting poppy seed bagels pretty regularly... But also informed me that she began Suboxone 24 hrs prior to the test. Based on her self admission, I reported out as a Neg w/ safety concerns. Subsequent Bup. testing came back negative. The Union is filing a grievance. As I recall, it's the MRO's responsibility to report any safety concerns that may be disclosed during the interview process...even with the negative result? Just want to confirm this...

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Buprenorphine

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Yes. The reporting of likely safety concerns is based on information ancillary to the drug test result, but which is identified during review of the test result.

deniwar

Post by deniwar » Fri May 24, 2019 11:24 am

I would have thought this would be called positive for opiates. The morphine level is over 2000 and food products can not be used to validate a result. Could someone explain this to me??

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Sun May 26, 2019 2:42 pm

2,000 ng/mL is the federal confirmation cutoff for morphine and codeine.

The federal procedures direct MROs that morphine and codeine concentrations of 15,000 ng/mL or above are not explainable by poppy seed ingestion.