CBD and marijuana

cathy

CBD and marijuana

Post by cathy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:06 am

I have a donor testing positive for marijuana at 33 ng/ml (non DOT).He reports using CBD with less than 0.3% THC. I verified the result as positive for marijuana. I contacted the certifying scientist at MedTox and was told that to date, CBD may cause a THC level of 2 ng/ml. (Well below the confirmatory cutoff). I was told the lab is continuing to test Urine from CBD users at this time to better evaluate CBD use and THC levels. Has there been any other instances of scientifically documented levels of THC in urine specimens of CBD users?

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: CBD and marijuana

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:19 pm

On May 28, 2019, the National Laboratory Certification Program issued a Notice that it was investigating what appeared to be several THCA-positive results above the limit of quantitation but below the cutoff values, results thought to represent conversion of CBD to THCA during sample preparation with an acidic derivatizing agent. This may be what the scientist at MedTox is referring to.

cathy

Post by cathy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:20 pm

I very much appreciate this information. Thank you for clarifying this issue!

DrCRZ

Post by DrCRZ » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:45 pm

"I was told the lab is continuing to test Urine from CBD users at this time to better evaluate CBD use and THC levels."

How can the lab be sure that the users are not lying and using marijuana on the side and at the same time how do the lab know how much THC is actually in the CBD product as contaminants vs conversion. I guess what I am trying to understand is their method. Manufacturers can lie about the THC content of their products, maybe not intentionally but since they are not regulated how do we really know.

mikesuls

Post by mikesuls » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Epidiolex is the only FDA approved CBD medication for certain types of seizure disorders in the pediatric population. I tell donors that "cbd oil" is manufactured in labs without any standardization, quality control or regulatory oversite. It is not considered a valid medical explanation. If they are in a drug testing program (particularly at the Federal Level), they should avoid it all together. Why put a bullet into a revolver and point it at your head? If they have a concern about the purity of the stuff that they bought at the gas station, they should voice their concerns to the manufacturer.

greghomd

Post by greghomd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:46 am

There is plenty of data showing significant levels of THC in CBD products even when labeled none. CRL has done that testing and I have done my own research with my wife. She took 4 different cbd products in the course of several months and 2/4 tested positive for thc in her urine, the highest level being 37 ng/ml with a creatinine of 125 mg/dl. The product with the highest level was labeled "less that 0,3 % thc", and when I shared the results with them they added a disclaimer to their website. THE DOT prohibits overturning any positive under their pervue, but the issue is pervasive and in the NON-DOT world,very problematic.