Hair tests for Benadryl

jstanctb

Hair tests for Benadryl

Post by jstanctb » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Have recently been told of two cases involving very young children and hair tests for Benadryl. Have any quantitative cut-off/confirmation levels been established?

Will the age of the donor have any bearing on the interpretation of the lab results?

Thanks,
Stan.

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Hair tests for Benadryl

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Please provide more detail about what you've been told about, if that detail is available. You're asking about hair tests for an over the counter product, and perhaps testing of young children. In what context? It's clearly not workplace testing. Does this involve infant deaths in which diphenhydramine (Benadryl) poisoning was suspected?

In general -- like urine and probably more so - it's difficult to equate the concentrations of drugs in hair to the dose. Because there is no concern about passive exposure, e.g,. to smoke, I suspect the lab would test to the limit of quantitation, whatever that may be for the particular lab.

I don't know if this answers your question, and invite you to post more detail so that I (and others) better understand your question.