MRO conflict of interest ?

molson23

MRO conflict of interest ?

Post by molson23 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Hello,

I am reaching out to see if you can help answer a question my Employee Health Medical Director has.

We are looking to do our own in house Drug screens as part of pre-employment physicals and our question is, is there a conflict of interest if we have one of the employed physicians that works for the hospital BUT not directly for the Health Office be the MRO, or is it better to keep the MRO separate from the institution and hire a MRO service? Do you know if there are any regulations regarding this?

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much, and I will await your response

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: MRO conflict of interest ?

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:49 pm

There are no regulations or standards about this.

MRO reviews are among the most fact-based, rather than subjective, determinations that an occupational medicine physician has the opportunity to provide. I supposed a donor could claim the MRO is biased because that MRO works in-house. Perhaps just as often, the in-house MRO has an opportunity to integrate with human resources and the donor in understanding the significance of the result, return-to-work planning, and other meaningful services that an external MRO is less able to provide.

I've heard of in-house occupational medicine doctors asking that MRO reviews be farmed out because they don't want to be involved in something that's antagonistic. It's also possible that they want the work farmed out because, unlike other occupational medicine services, MRO work requires being available evenings and weekends.

molson23

Re: MRO conflict of interest ?

Post by molson23 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:32 am

Thank you very much for the input.