Invalid with pH 9.07

DrCRZ

Invalid with pH 9.07

Post by DrCRZ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 pm

How should I handle a DOT non-contact invalid (pH-9.07)? No delay in transport but collected in AZ.

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Invalid with pH 9.07

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:31 pm

If the pH is in the 9.0 – 9.5 range and the specimen was exposed to heat over time, the MRO reports the test as cancelled and informs the DER that no further action is required unless a negative result is required.

Urine pH can rise into the 9.0 – 9.5 range due to the effects of microbial activity, particularly if the specimen is left in warm temperatures for more than a day or two. Evidence to support this would include a collection date and laboratory received dates more than 1-2 days apart, and collection of the specimen in a hot locality. When in doubt, assume there was no evil intent.

DrCRZ

Re: Invalid with pH 9.07

Post by DrCRZ » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks for the response Dr. Swotinsky. I guess my question is, since I cannot get in touch with the donor to interview him (as I am supposed to make an attempt), should I just submit the result as cancelled, etc? The number he left is not in service and the employer is unable to reach him so far (4 days). Should I wait 10 day before I submit the report or send him a certified letter?