Cocaine-positive trucker/pilot

jdkjoy

Cocaine-positive trucker/pilot

Post by jdkjoy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:33 pm

If you are the MRO for an applicant for a truck driving position who also has a commercial pilot's license, which of the following must you do in addition to notifying the trucking company?

A. reassure the donor that the MRO does not report the positive drug tests to DOT
B. report the positive drug test to Federal Air Surgeon
C. instruct the trucking company to notify FAA of positive result
D. ask the applicant to inform FAA about his cocaine use
E. revoke the driver's medical examiner's certificate

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Cocaine-positive trucker/pilot

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:03 pm

b. report the positive drug test to FAA.

I handled one of these a few years ago. I contacted FAA's medical division in Oklahoma City. I spoke with a woman there who at first put me off while she tried to figure out why I was calling and what to do with the information. She then took the information, thanked me for it, and said no-one had ever done this before.

To protect public safety, the MRO is supposed to report this kind of information to the appropriate person empowered to take action. In this case, the appropriate person is at FAA's medical division.

By the way, the MRO doesn't revoke the driver's medical examiner's certificate. If the medical examiner knows that a driver is unqualified, e.g., because of cocaine use, the medical examiner should inform the driver, document that the driver has been informed, and decline to issue a new certificate.

DrSteve

Re: Cocaine-positive trucker/pilot

Post by DrSteve » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Agree 100% Report it to the local Federal Flight Surgeon. There are huge public safety issues here.