Donor arrives just before closing

jdkjoy

Donor arrives just before closing

Post by jdkjoy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:15 am

We have a client who continues to send employees for random drug tests to our clinic late afternoon to evening. My staff sent someone home because because they showed up 15 minutes before closing and did not feel they could give a specimen. Company was notified. Did my staff need to stay for the 3 hours ie "shy bladder" or was it ok to tell them to come back the next morning?

T. Niemiec, MD

Re: Donor arrives just before closing

Post by T. Niemiec, MD » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:07 am

Unless you have additional details which you didn't mention, the collector needs to stay. When the donor arrives, they should begin the process and attempt to provide a specimen, not be asked whether they feel like they can. They should not generally take it upon themselves to approve someone to come back another time.

gwoccmed

Re: Donor arrives just before closing

Post by gwoccmed » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:38 pm

You identified part of the problem yourself, i.e. "a client who continues." You need to speak with your client to explain the issue and if you are unwilling to keep staff over to complete a specimen, tell the client when you will except your last drug screen, or what your surcharge is for after hours completion. Essentially you negotiate the parameters outside of which you are willing to forgo their business as not profitable - otherwise you stay to complete the collection. They may simply be oblivious to the problem the situation causes you and happy to work something out (or not). They might also be making early AM notices to have collection "sometime today" and the donors call for and focus on your closing time - as opposed to "before X o'clock today".

gwoccmed
also of brentwood, tn
(and not your competitor for collections)