Trazodone and tramadol

Trazodone and tramadol

Postby lanab » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Can you tell me if trazodone or tramadol would bring back positive for anything on a drug test? We have drug court people who want to use these medications. Thanks! :)
lanab

Re: Trazodone and tramadol

Postby Robert Swotinsky MD » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Tramadol is an opiate and may trigger a positive opiates screen. The test would confirm positive only if the test panel is set up to look for tramadol.

Trazodone is generally NOT among those drugs that would be tested for, given that trazodone is not a drug of abuse.

The answer to this question really depends on the type of test being conducted. For what drugs? By what method? Also, any good testing program would have the results reviewed for legitimate medical explanations and the lab-positives changed to negative where there legitimate medical explanations exist.
Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Postby DrSteve » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Robert Swotinsky MD wrote:Tramadol is an opiate and may trigger a positive opiates screen. The test would confirm positive only if the test panel is set up to look for tramadol.

Trazodone is generally NOT among those drugs that would be tested for, given that trazodone is not a drug of abuse.

The answer to this question really depends on the type of test being conducted. For what drugs? By what method? Also, any good testing program would have the results reviewed for legitimate medical explanations and the lab-positives changed to negative where there legitimate medical explanations exist.

I agree. I have seem positives for Tramadol quite often, but is only when the company is testing with an expanded opiate panel that includes Tramadol.

In workplace drug testing I have never seen Trazadone tested for, but where I just started to work, they do drug testing and as part of their panel they include an anti-depressant panel. This is a non-workplace drug screening.
DrSteve

Postby MaxwellEdison » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:22 am

>>where I just started to work, they do drug testing and as part of their panel they include an anti-depressant panel.<<

I haven't seen that. Please tell us more if you can, such as, what is done with that information?
MaxwellEdison

Postby DrSteve » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:47 am

MaxwellEdison wrote:>>where I just started to work, they do drug testing and as part of their panel they include an anti-depressant panel.<<

I haven't seen that. Please tell us more if you can, such as, what is done with that information?

This is a different situation at the facility I was describing. They are doing drug screens prior to enrolling them into a clinical trial, and they want to make sure not only they are not using drugs of abuse, but they are not taking anti-depressants, benzos, etc., that might interfere with the trial, side effects, etc.

If the individual tests positive (depending on the study) for this class of drugs, they cannot participate in the trial. No "real" adverse effects from the positive test.
DrSteve

Return to Drug and Alcohol Testing