old school vs. new school

lstudt

old school vs. new school

Post by lstudt » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 pm

Good evening. We are having a lively debate in our department about whether or not we can still write for 1, 2, or 3 month cards vs. having each driver return for a new exam at 1, 2, or 3 months depending on what the CME feels is needed for each driver. A common example is a driver needing a recert who has an elevated blood pressure. I usually would provide a 3 month card, as everything else is ok. If they provide documentation that a med is started, I would recert the driver for 1 year from original exam date and not make them have a whole new exam. I have been told this is wrong, by a couple of companies and now, a couple of new providers in our department. We are supposed to have them return for a new exam, even if it were the following day. The new guide does say they need a new exam but is this just a recommendation? I have been told by the author the new guide and other FMCSA higher ups that the old way is still ok. The new members of our department say that we are taking unnecessary risk and are opening ourselves up to issues, etc. I am curious to what others think.

Thank you.