Retraining at 5 yrs post certification?

drjchill

Retraining at 5 yrs post certification?

Post by drjchill » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:28 am

Any news regarding the requirement for "additional training" by the FMCSA for those of us who are at the 5-year mark of certification?

drjchill

Re: Retraining at 5 yrs post certification?

Post by drjchill » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 am

Okay...I found this on an online search ( I am not sure of the veracity of this post)

FMCSA National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners Updates DOT Certification Refresher Training Offering
To remain eligible for listing on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's (FMCSA) National Registry (NR) and as required under 49 CFR 390.111(a)(5)(i), Certified Medical Examiners must maintain medical examiner certification by completing training and testing requirements. In December 2016, FMCSA issued a statement that it will be the sole provider of the required 5-year refresher training, and it will provide the training online at no cost to Certified Medical Examiners.

Certified Medical Examiners who are eligible for the 5-year periodic online training will be notified by FMCSA when the training is available and the examiner is able to access the training site. Training providers associated with the initial 10-year certification process are not involved with the refresher training and will not contact Certified Medical Examiners regarding the required 5-year refresher training. Read the full FMCSA statement.

docrja

Re: Retraining at 5 yrs post certification?

Post by docrja » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 am

re: retraining for NRCME certified Medical Examiners

Hello drchill and colleagues:

I was one of the first providers to take the certification exam in December 2013, and my "refresher" training would be "due" last December (2018). I sent NRMCE and online FAQ through their email portal about this matter the month before (November 2018).

I received the same basic response as drchill's discovery, but through their email response at the FMCSA Frequently Asked Questions portal. Their email to me explained that I would be "notified" by email when I am "due" or eligible for the refresher training.

For some reason, I have not been contacted so far, yet I am on their List Serve and receive a lot of other emails from the FMCSA and the NRCME both. To this date, I have NOT seen either ACOEM/WOEMA or any other Occupational Medicine organizations offer the "refresher" training either in person or online. All the local cash pay NRCME Instructors around here in California claim their live courses are for new Registrants to take the initial test (but they are willing to collect my money to use the course as refresher).

Hope this helps!
docrja
MRO and NRCME Registered/Certified Medical Examiner for large government Employer