New insulin rule: Type 1 diabetic

Suki

New insulin rule: Type 1 diabetic

Post by Suki » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:38 am

My very first use of the new MCSA-5870 form was yesterday when a young man with Type 1 diabetes, on insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring, brought in a form completed by his "TC". I realized that I had to rely totally on the information on that form (and it was mostly "no" answers to yes/no questions) in addition to whatever info the driver chose to tell me (and his story is that all is copacetic and he never has lows low enough to affect his alertness). In explaining to him that he must follow up with his TC if he does have such an episode I then realized that we're totally depending on the honor system. And as I saw absolutely no reason to not certify him based on the history available and his ability to explain clearly how he managed his blood glucose levels, I did give him a 1-year certification. I know that supposedly this new rule is based on research that crash risk is low in persons with well controlled diabetes. I think the previous exemption process was unduly burdensome & I felt drivers with Type 2 on basal insulins were being treated unfairly. But I wonder if others have any thoughts about how thorough the new process is for the more unusual Type 1's.