Refused hernia check

Jamads

Re: Refused hernia check

Post by Jamads » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:52 am

http://patientmodesty.org/sportsphysicals.aspx

Many boys still find genital exams embarrassing even with male doctors without any women present. Some male doctors have humiliated boys. One male doctor blogged using terms such as "hilarious", "entertaining", and "quite funny" to describe the embarrassment and humiliation felt by his young male patients during the hernia exam. This, after commenting extensively about the fact that he knew the exam was unnecessary and that he as a doctor had the option to omit it but chose not to. He talked about how he had to make a boy pull down his pants and underwear. When the boy told the doctor that he was not going to pull down his pants for the hernia check, the doctor responded by saying, “if you do not do this, you can’t participate in sports”. The boy reluctantly pulled down his pants half an inch showing the band of his underwear. Then the doctor told him he had to pull down his pants and underwear all way. Parents need to ask how a forced genital exposure shows a readiness to play school sports and how this type of treatment affects boys emotionally and psychologically.

Jamads

Re: Refused hernia check

Post by Jamads » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Just a follow up. My dot physical was being completed by a female nurse practitioner and I asked for a male doctor to perform the hernia exam, which according to their website they were required to comply with. They couldn't find one and wrote "declined ingunal hernia check, denies symptoms. Referred to have primary care if needed." Which is fine for dot regulations! But my employer tried to tell me I had to go have the hernia exam done! After a few phone calls and stating that I didn't refuse, but asked for a male doctor.... My employer finally called the clinic and the nurse practitioner had to write down the truth that I didn't refuse, but indeed asked for a male doctor. She had to write that on my long form resend it to my employer and I was cleared to drive.