Naltrexone

mmgsc100

Naltrexone

Post by mmgsc100 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:47 am

I have a DOT driver who self-referred to a "Rapid Drug Detox" center. He understands this does not qualify as a SAP evaluation/treatment. The detox center has prescribed Naltrexone, and I am planning to have him medically recertified when and if he is ready to return to driving duties. Is anyone familiar with this drug? Will he pass his DOT medical while using this drug?

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Naltrexone

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Use of naltrexone is not disqualifying from CVM operation. The Medical Examiner will not disqualify the examinee on this basis. But, the recent history of substance abuse is a potential disqualifier. You may want to find out how recent, and how severe, is the history of alcohol abuse. If, for example, he was released from inpatient treatment just a month or so ago, you're likely to consider him a current alcoholic and thus unqualified. Try to get hardcopy records directly from the treatment center. If you can't get them, and even if you can, another option is to find him qualified contingent on ME-directed "follow up" alcoholtests. These would not be DOT breath alcohol tests, because there is no violation of the DOT alcohol testing rule. But, they may be appropriate for monitoring sobriety. Urine EtG with a cutoff of at least 500 ng/mL should be considered.

action

Re: Naltrexone

Post by action » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:05 am

This post is from 2012. Is this information still accurate today? Also, is there anything else you can add such as new protocols for individuals in recovery. Im not sure if 'in recovery" is a term that has a specific implication in the context of the exam. If so please clarify.