Flexeril and naproxyn

jimdptl

Flexeril and naproxyn

Post by jimdptl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 am

A company I advise has a driver who indicated to his supervisor he had been prescribed medication that may show in a DOT random drug test.

The medications were flexeril and naproxen.

Aside from the random testing implications, would a CDL driver taking these medications be clear to operate a commercial motor vehicle?

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Flexeril and naproxyn

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:18 am

Neither Flexeril nor naproxyn will be identified in a DOT drug test. The DOT drug test targets other drugs, not these.

The physical qualification standard re: drug use, under 49 CFR 391.41(b)(12)(i)(ii)(A)(B), is:

"A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if that person —

Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug."

Flexeril is not listed in 21 CFR 1308.11, and is not an amphetamine, narcotic, or (physically) habit-forming drug. From my experience, it falls fairly low on the list of concerns with regard to safe driving.

Use of Naproxyn does not raise safety concerns.

I would qualify the driver. If the driver notes that he/she has side effects from either drug, suggest to the driver that he/she speak w/the prescriber about alternative medications.