When do we need to redo the entire DOT physical?

occmedpac

When do we need to redo the entire DOT physical?

Post by occmedpac » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Under what medical circumstances would DOT require an updated complete DOT medical examination before the driver's current DOT medical approval expires?
We are unable to find a definitive answer to this question. Thanks.

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: When do we need to redo the entire DOT physical?

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:42 pm

If a fitness for duty concern is identified before the driver is due for an exam, the driver would need a DOT physical using standard forms and entry into NRCME database. That DOT physical would include focus on the issue of concern. For example, if a driver is hospitalized for a heart attack, before returning him/her to driving, the employer would order a return to duty DOT physical. The following text is from the FMCSA web site:

My medical certificate is still valid. Am I prohibited from operating a CMV if I have a medical condition that developed after my last medical certificate was issued?

FMCSA regulations prohibit a driver from beginning or continuing to drive if their ability and/or alertness is impaired by: fatigue, illness, or any cause that makes it unsafe to begin (continue) to drive a commercial vehicle.
Even if a driver currently has a valid medical certificate, the driver is prohibited from driving a CMV with any medical condition that would be disqualifying or may interfere with the safe operation of a CMV. Once a disqualifying medical condition is resolved, and before resuming operation of CMVs, a driver is responsible for obtaining re-certification from a Medical Examiner. 391.45

Last Updated : April 1, 2014