EMR for Employee Health

DSCockrum

EMR for Employee Health

Post by DSCockrum » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:13 am

I wasn't sure into which forum this question fits best. I am Medical Director for our hospital system's Employee Health program. Our system has decided to transition to Epic as the EMR of choice. In our OM/EH clinic, we are concerned about whether Epic will be capable of handling all of the surveillance tracking requirements for a medical Employee Health program. Does anyone have experience specifically with Epic for running an Employee Health program? Our decision point is whether to purchase an independent software solution for the EH surveillance requirements if Epic does not perform this role. Any comments appreciated.

Note - this question is not intended to generate endorsements or opposition to the Epic EMR; it is only a request for experiences with it.

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: EMR for Employee Health

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm

I used EPIC in an occupational health program for a number of years until about 3 years ago. It is powerful and stable and serves PCPs well. It doesn't do surveillance. We (the occupational health program staff) were told that it would be no problem to create that functionality. But, it didn't happen. If there is something specific you want to monitor -- TB tests, lead values, DOT physicals, etc. -- you'll need an independent system for that.

I've also used Allscripts and PracticeFusion. They are less powerful than EPIC, and also do not have surveillance functionality.

DSCockrum

Re: EMR for Employee Health

Post by DSCockrum » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks Robert. That's kind of what I have heard indirectly, but I appreciate hearing it from someone who has actually used the software!