Police officer on warfarin

badpig

Police officer on warfarin

Post by badpig » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 am

I recently had to have a second open heart surgery to have a mechanical valve replace my porcine valve which replaced my original aortic valve. I am now on warfarin for life. I am 41 years old and have 18 years in law enforcement in South Carolina. I am otherwise pretty healthy. I am now looking at the possibility of medical retirement for being on blood thinners. I can't find much if any policy for police agencies concerning the use of blood thinners by officers while on full duty. Does anyone have any resources that I can look at concerning this? Thanks!

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Police officer on warfarin

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:53 am

The American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine publishes medical evaluation guidelines for law enforcement officers, available by subscription. With respect to warfarin, the guideline is, "approved only if assigned to restricted duty; medication may cause significant bleeding (particularly intracranial) resulting in sudden incapacitation in case of altercation or fall."

badpig

Re: Police officer on warfarin

Post by badpig » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks for the reference information Dr. Swotinsky. My Department is very supportive and advised that they will have my back no matter what I choose (there has not been a final word yet on if the Town I work for will clear me to work). My Cardiologist is also on the fence at the moment and wants to research the risks associated with going back full duty. There are officers in my state that have similar issues to mine and work full duty. Mostly what I have been getting is that I can probably get cleared to work with no restrictions as long as I am willing to accept all of the extra risk.