Preplacement and safety issues

lstudt

Preplacement and safety issues

Post by lstudt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:26 pm

We are seeing a 30 year old for a preplacement exam at a local bridge making plant. Needless to say, there are substantial pieces of metal, machinery, etc. that create a safety sensitive position. The potential employee has had some physical issues in the past but has no permanent restrictions and was able to pass the agility portion of his exam. Our concern is regarding a different issue.

On our preplacement history form, the potential employee had checked "Yes" to the "previous history of drug/alcohol issues requiring treatment" but also crossed it out and answered "No" instead. When I saw him, I did not have a release to review any records at our hospital other than for his appointment. His blood pressure was quite elevated (164/110) and initially, we were not able to perform his agility testing due to his elevated BP. I picked up on a potential issue when he told me that he had not filled his prescription for Clonidine for blood pressure yet. He filled the prescription later that same day and was able to return in a few days to pass his agility test.

I had him sign a release and found that he had been discharged from our hospital for suicidal thoughts and for alcohol detox just one week ago. While he has passed everything, including a 10-panel drug test, I have safety concerns with his potential job. I understand that a job is an intregal part of a recovery process but also need to keep in mind safety concerns.

I am interested in others thoughts?

Thank you.

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Preplacement and safety issues

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:32 pm

I would likely find him unqualified based on risk. Alternatively, if the guy was to be qualified, it should be contingent on his agreeing to monitoring for abstinence, e.g., with random urine EtG tests 3-4 times a month and zero tolerance. You would have to tell the employer representative what it needs to know, which in this case is the need to monitor this employee and have him agree to zero tolerance policy. Given statistically high relapse rate, he may well test positive during monitoring and then be discharged.

lstudt

Re: Preplacement and safety issues

Post by lstudt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Thank you. I ended up stating that he passed his agility test, his drug test, but when reviewing records found he had recently been treated for alcohol issues (as well as depression) while falsifying his preplacement history form. All of which are safety concerns.