Forklift drivers

lreynolds

Forklift drivers

Post by lreynolds » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 am

I was asked to certify a forklift driver at a local plant. He is on Oxycontin TID and Norco TID prescribed by a pain doctor for years for back pain. She did write a note that she feels he is safe to operate the vehicle (by the way he is on Insulin and his glucose was 463 at the time of my visit). Anyway the plant management and the union both want this guy cleared as he has been driving for years with no record of an accident. I would appreciate input on what most are doing for forklift operators and narcotic use. Thanks.

racedoc1

Re: Forklift drivers

Post by racedoc1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Many companies here hold forklift operators to DOT standards. The heavy narcotics, insulin use, and uncontrolled IDDM should disqualify him from driving, operating machinery, or working above ground. Would you want to work, or have a family member working next to this patient. When the accident happens, the union and the company will say they allowed him to operate the forklift because the doctor cleared him. Put the above restrictions on him and let the company decide to follow or ignore your recommendations.