Exposures to blood and other potentially infectious material

Avaya24

Exposures to blood and other potentially infectious material

Post by Avaya24 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:59 am

Would anyone be willing to share their current process/policy in their Occ Med Clinic for occupational exposures for needle sticks, bites, etc? Am also intereseted in the medical decision-making regarding who should be offered PrEP for HIV and Immunoglobulin/vaccination for Hep B prophylaxis. Some of our urgent care clinics document discussion re: these treatments, but almost universally don't initiated them. These exposures make their way to our Occ Med clinic sooner or later for continud care and followup. I'm then left with sorting through what they've had, what they need and questioning what timeframe is too late for things like immunoglobulin and PrEP since 99% of the time, it's not initiated when they probably should be considered.

We're a new Occ Med clinic and are developing our policies and processes. In the process, I'm going to reach out to our local UC clinics and offer more up to date recommendations so patients are being treated to the standard of care with respect to occupational health exposure. I'd also appreciate any recommendations for resources for my own investigation and clinical understanding.