Underage test clients

Shawn Harrington

Underage test clients

Post by Shawn Harrington » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:25 am

I've had two cases of 17 y/o's applying for jobs and + for THC. In both cases the Mom's have been present for the Occ Health exam/ UDT and in the latest one the Mom requested I speak to only her.

What are the obligations of the MRO to the under age test subject? I'm inclined to speak to the client himself [17 y/o] and discuss the + THC result, and ask permission to speak to the parent since they requested it. What if he declines that? or if the parent wont allow me to talk with the 'child' directly.

Thank you
Shawn

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Underage test clients

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Thank y ou Shawn Harrington for signing into the web site after I accidentally cleared out the member list a few days ago. You get the coveted #2 spot on the (new) members list.
____

MROs should not provide parents with results of drug tests that employers have ordered on their adolescent children. Drug tests are not medical records, and parents do not have the same rights to their childrens' drug test results as they do to their childrens' medical records. But, even with respect to medical records, minors have higher privacy expectations with respect to care for substance abuse, mental illness, and certain other sensitive health concerns.

btw, at least one state, Tennesee, has a law in which employers (but not MROs) who participate in the Drug-Free Workplace Act must notify parents or legal guardians about their childrens’ drug or alcohol test results [Tenn. Code Ann. § 50-9-109(1)(e)]. Some student or school drug testing programs include a policy of parental notification.

Shawn Harrington

Re: Underage test clients

Post by Shawn Harrington » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:00 am

Ty Robert

That helps