Visual acuity standard for nurse

drjchill

Visual acuity standard for nurse

Post by drjchill » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:38 am

Does anyone have a visual acuity "standard," based on job type i.e. nursing, ancillary staff, radiology, neurosurgery etc, for people that work in health care? I have data on color vision; but not overall visual acuity. We have a nurse with vision in "one eye" which can be corrected only to 20/70.

Robert Swotinsky MD
Site Admin

Re: Visual acuity standard for nurse

Post by Robert Swotinsky MD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:32 am

There are no visual acuity standards for health care workers. It is particularly unlikely that one would find a standard for a neurosurgeon or radiologist. Many if not most of those professionals are self-employed and not subject to preplacement physical exams. With regard to your nurse with poor visual acuity in one eye, I recently researched the topic of monocular vision standards and found nothing except the usual suspects - truck drivers, airplane pilots, and certain other highly safety-sensitive tasks. The loss of visual acuity in one eye will reduce the person's total visual field somewhat, e.g., 25%. Where the loss of visual acuity has likely been long-standing, that person is likely to have accommodated/adjusted to the deficit. Barring any known history of mishaps related to loss of peripheral vision, I think there's no grounds for limiting/restricting/denying placement based on the reduced vision in one eye.